Corporate and Executive Coaching
We work with individuals, teams and entire organizations on professional and personal leadership development and individual performance in a business context. We utilize the stakeholders model of coaching where we emphasize involvement of stakeholders, implementation of change and follow-through to measure growth in leadership effectiveness. Schedule a 45 minute complimentary consultation with Cory HERE
Process and Services
In working together we will follow a process that gives us a balance of structure and improvisation. We will put in the work to understand you and your situation, design a custom plan and support you in achieving your desired results. We will also leave room and flexibility to adapt to what is most important for you right now, given how unpredictable life and business can be and how the reality of our situations evolve over time.
1. Complimentary Consultation: The clients fierce desire to learn and grow and the chemistry between coach and client are the two most important factors in a successful engagement. That's why we always begin with a 45 minute complimentary consultation where we can see what kind of chemistry we have and determine if working together would be inspiring. Also, after this consultation we will put together an initial proposal for services and investment level based on your needs.
2. Discovery/Exploration: This phase is a combination of time spent in session and out of session. To supercharge the process of discovery, our first session is usually 2 hours (60 mins longer than usual). We will get to know each other, get clear on the major patterns and areas of focus, and begin the custom design of your coaching program. To support our coaching goals we may request your previous performance reviews, interview key stakeholders (including senior leaders and board members), ask you to complete a self-assessment, or do a comprehensive 360 review* where we interview up to 12 people to get guidance on what is and isn't working.
3. Custom Design: Your coaching experience is tailor made for you, not off the rack. Based on what we gather in the discovery phase, we will generate a custom designed coaching program for our engagement. It will contain the areas we will focus on, how we will approach developing them, your goals and key results, which members of the support team here we may involve, and any projects you are working on that might need special attention.
4. Coach and Iterate: The meat of our work is our on going coaching sessions where through dynamic conversation, exercises, and frameworks we will work to enhance your perspective and improve your outcomes. The goal of your development is to retain all the current things you can do while adding additional capabilities in those areas critical to your role. As our relationship evolves we will adjust the approach based on what works best for you with the goal of being more efficient and effective with the time we get together. The mantra is... Coach - Learn - Improve - Involve
5. Report and Adjust: When possible we prefer to involve key stakeholders in the coaching relationship -- boards, senior leadership, people leadership, etc. In these cases we will determine, with your involvement and approval, the appropriate information to relay, how we will structure it and a suitable medium for that communication (email, VC, in-person, etc.). Ideally we will have a stakeholder kick-off, a mid-point check in and a completion session. We will use a basic scoring architecture plus open conversation with everyone in the room as the core of those sessions. We will incorporate any salient guidance into our coaching program, adjusting our core plan if necessary and continue on with our mission.
*360 Reviews: 360 Performance Reviews gather valuable feedback from your team, cofounders, board members and other stakeholders including those in your personal life. Completing a 360 with support from a coach helps you make shifts to the current trajectory that support your success and the success of your company. We produce a report allows you to see things that are going well and not so well, and then generate viable action steps.
My process is hands on and thorough:
- You identify 4-12 people (varies with investment level and scope of engagement) with insight into your behavior and performance to be reviewers.
- You complete a self-assessment: including strengths, weaknesses, and areas for growth.
- In-depth interviews with each of your reviewers.
- Responses are compiled and anonymized into a detailed report that underlines important themes.
- You and your coach review the 360 together and co-c reate a tailored, actionable development plan.
1. Schedule a 45 minute complimentary consultation with Cory HERE
In this 45-minute conversation we will get to know each other and I will ask questions to deeply understand where you've been, where you are, where you want to go, and what might be getting in the way of you getting there. We can also cover more details of how we would work together and other basic logistics (where we would meet, what days are best for you, etc.).
2. You receive an Investment Proposal
The proposal will include the length/frequency/number of sessions, additional services (like custom 360 review or phone/text/email support between sessions), any special agreements and the total dollar investment. Typical sessions are 60 minutes in length (120 minutes for the one-time discovery session), on video conference, phone or in-person, and the average frequency is 2x per month with text/phone support in between sessions. All forms or credit card payments, checks and cash are accepted.
3. Establish a Session Schedule and Move Into Discovery
Once we finalize the coaching plan to the investment and the first payment is secured we will schedule our initial run of sessions and move into the official discovery/exploration phase as outlined above.
Why Work With a Coach?
Corporate and executive coaching offers support, direction and feedback to professional leaders and teams to improve their effectiveness and bring them to new levels of success. The best coaches ask the right questions, focus on the future, foster the individual's performance in a business context and help the executive discover their own path.
Here's a quick thought experiment: if you're a company of ~25 people then every DAY of work is the equivalent of one MONTH of productivity. Improvements in management and leadership impact organizational efficiency through levers like increasing clarity around roles and vision or reducing unnecessary stress and conflict, and have a leveraged effect on productivity.
Top Reasons Coaches Are Engaged:
- Develop high potential employees
- Facilitate transition to new role (vertical or horizontal)
- Act as a sounding board
- Address derailing behavior (individual or organizational)
What Topics Might be Covered In Session?
- Conflict Management
- Executive Presence / Presentation Skills
- Content Development
- Delivering Hard Feedback / Hard News
- Conversation / Dialogue: active listening, bottom-lining
- Managing & Managing Up
- Cross-functional Communication
- Facilitating Meetings
- Strategy & Problem Solving
- Leadership & Responsibility Influence
- Working through Relationships and Processes
- Strategic vs. Tactical
- Personal and Organizational Ethics
- Career Development
- Writing Performance Reviews
- Specific Performance Issues
- OKRs (quarterly goals)
- Strategic Conversations
- Corporate Exposure
- Strategic Career Plan